Sunday, 11 October 2009

Billy Atwell of th' Inbred and Rhythm Pigs


1. Which book are you currently reading?
It's more like book(s). I'm in school to become a Certified Massage Therapist so Thibodeau & Patton's "Structure & Function of the Body" is in there. Because I'm launching a new concurrent career outside of music with the final certification of my CMT program I'm hoping not to make the same business-minded mistakes I made as a musician by reading books by Larry Winget and Brian Tracy. For the Zen I'm rereading Chogyam Trungpa's "Training The Mind and Cultivating Loving Kindness". Kicks my ass every time. And just to keep a certain level of intensity handy if and when I need it, Henry Rollins' new book "A Preferred Blur". I've read all of his books. Once a punk, always a punk but mostly treating the Henry's written word as yardsticks for personal development and determination beyond the average.

2. Do you smoke?
I was a bit of a cigar aficionado up until my 43 birthday this year. Seeing as how I'm in a quasi-medical/health-related field I figured it was pretty hypocritical to be downing them as I was on long rides to weekend gigs so...that was that. Plus Larry Winget's direct and abrasive opinions on smoking, health in general and the wake of stupidity people roll around in had a strong arm effect that was unavoidable incentive to quit. SMOKING KILLS PEOPLE. It's that simple. I'm also looking at what the physiology of oxygen intake into the bloodstream looks like on a molecular level in school, let alone what the tissues of the mouth and throat go through with even 100% natural, non-man made leaves. Tobacco carcinogens get in your body in a severely ugly way. Seriously.

3. When was the last time you got angry?
And lost it? I don't need to air my dirty laundry because I always contribute something to whatever happened in some way however small (the cause of what generates said anger). You punk yourself when you lose your s**t. "He who curbs his anger is a true charioteer. Others merely hold the reigns" - Buddhist Proverb. These days I get angry at myself for having angry thoughts. I try to meditate on the side of right and do whatever is necessary with my resting heart rate in tact. That way I keep myself and others from harm's way and make the Gods smile. I laugh pretty hard too if only knowing that calm, cool and collected trips people up alot more that boiling like a kettle or jackknifing like an 18 wheeler.

4. When was the last time you laughed until you cried?
Remember that old country song by Connie Smith? "Once a day, every day, all day long..." That will change shortly though. In due time, in due process.

5. Was there a movie where you could not bear to see the end?
I know it's been awhile but had I have known that "Leaving Las Vegas" was going to be the bummer it was I'm not sure I would have paid the admission. Profound film but the stain it left on my psyche for weeks after caught me off guard. Please don't tell me you thought I'd say "Titanic"!

6. What character would you have liked to have played?
In what? "Leaving Las Vegas"? Nothing vicarious I could glean from that but I would love to have been Forest Whitaker in "Ghost Dog". That would have been some good Jungian shadow play. It'd be cool to be in Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriquez film. Something Sam Shepard wrote...

7. "Law & Order", "Special Victim Unit" or "Criminal Intent"?
Not a TV guy at all but I have watched an episode or 3 of "Law & Order" at my parent's house while visiting in WV just because it was20on and I was flipping through accumulated periodicals.

8. Who do you currently have a crush on?
My daughter. She's my hero. Having a daughter gives you someone to take care of and love in the truest sense.

9. What's the best moment of your day?
There are two specific ones that come to mind. One in the morning and one in the evening. Reading to my daughter every night that my schedule allows and the kiss from her in the morning that wakes me up. In a global way the whole day is pretty awesome. I'm either learning or applying things with better skill. I like my grey and am blazing to an apex that is still years away. It's something to look forward to.

10. What song of yours do you think is your best?
As a solo artist it'd be tough because the music is so eclectic. For now I'd say "She Still Sleeps Here" off of my 2007 CD, "Dos". It gets to the heart of a my writing style with elements of shadow and light...drop-tuned bombast and aching, lapsteel melodies. Regarding the new Alternative Tentacles reissue of th' Inbred it'd be tough picking "The One" because you have to consider the humor or the hostility. There are shining moments of both. Humor? "The Positive Song". Hostility? "Piss Test".


Billy Atwell blasted away in various rock outfits (th' Inbred/Rhythm Pigs). He has also explored musical venues for the stage, from Shakespeare to New York revivals of the musicals HAIR (1998) and GODSPELL (2000) with significant side trips into the eclectic and avant-garde.
Currently, Atwell is seeking to expand his presence into the venue of “filmic sound-scapes”. These mediums include art installations, actual movies, video game scores, and more projects as inventive as SAFFRON.


Billy Atwell - Official website
Billy Atwell on Myspace
Th' Inbred on Myspace


1 comment:

  1. Good one on Personal Development and it helps a lot.

    Thanks,
    Karim - Positive thinking

    ReplyDelete