Saturday, 17 October 2009

Nanami Cowdroy


1. Which book are you currently reading?
"The Brain That Changes Itself" - although to tell the truth, I'm definitely more a picture book person! I find the act of reading quite tiring (and personally) a little tedious for me, as I have a tendancy to try and over imagine everything ... every description & detail ... so I find myself reading the same pages over and over - which makes me impatient and exhausted. I guess to enjoy the act of reading, my brain has to change itself. That said, I LOVE looking through Art books and right now it's "Dali : Liquid Desire" - to me a painting / picture does speak a thousand words and inspires a thousand more ideas, which I can create the my own details for.

2. Do you smoke?
Hardly... (promise)

3. When was the last time you got angry?
Earlier today... but Being a half-Japanese, compulsive Capricorn head-case, I actually believe it's the angst which holds me together.

4. When was the last time you laughed until you cried?
Watching a crazy You Tube post titled 'The dramatic Lemur Original'... mind you, I did have few drinks prior to, and it was a friends fit of giggles which became contagious to those around at the time, beers in hand.

5. Was there a movie that you could not bear to see until its end?
The Exorcist - a vehicle for a perpetual state of fear & anxiety. In fact if memory serves, I don't think I even came close to the ending as I couldn't even bear the beginning. My memories of that film are totally disjointed and blurry as it became a film watched through clasped hands and fingers.

6. What character would you have liked to have played?
'Alice' in Wonderland, 'Chihiro' in Spirited Away -or- Captain Nemo to see the bottom of the ocean, and that Giant Squid!


7. "Law & Order", "Special Victim Unit" or "Criminal Intent"?
Same, same BUT different ... (The Family Guy versions are quite witty).

8. Who do you currently have a crush on?
The work of Salvador Dali, I just arrived back from Melbourne after seeing the exhibition there at the National Gallery of Victoria - and it blew my mind! Even though I have always been a great fan / admirer of his work for as long as I can remember... to go and see it in person, from his small early sketches, to his famous painted canvases & sculptures, films and jewelry ... it fires up the passion, imagination and love of his works.

9. What's the best moment of your day?
When my flat white coffee is ready, I have a blank piece of paper in front of me, a window of time and a semi-sharpened pencil :)

10. What painting of yours do you think is your best?
I don't really have a favourite to be honest - as creating Art allows me a creative outlet for expressing my thoughts and feelings. That said, some pieces inparticular I feel pretty attached to is 'Cable Cranes' and 'Tsuru'... I created them at a difficult time in my life, after my father passed away - so they embody a lot of feelings and memories. Works of mine which contain Origami cranes in them, for me has personal significance as they remind me of dad... so I guess it's just my small way of keeping his memory alive and well, and hopefully he would dig it.



Nanami Cowdroy was born in Sydney, Australia with close bonds to her mixed Japanese-European heritage. Growing up with such contrasting cultures and surroundings, has greatly influenced her style of art and creative expression.
By intertwining complex characters and highly detailed objects, her pieces reflect a juxtaposition between foreign and familiar entities and environments. Her imagination is illustrated through works that are both elaborate and exotic, suggesting themes of memory, transience, hope, and loss.
She is drawn to subjects, which may on the surface seem delicate or fragile, but are given depth and a sense of permanence through her pen and ink techniques, intricate hand illustrative style and mixed media compositions.
A self-taught artist, her meticulous signature style embraces a refined monochrome palette with her name 'Nanami' (meaning 'Seven Seas' in Japanese) stamped in red. Fluid line-work, spots and splatters, watery whimsical creatures and Goldfish are some of her favourite subjects, and distinctive forms featured in her emotional artworks.


Nanami Cowdroy Art [link 1]
Nanami Cowdroy Art [link 2]


2 comments:

  1. thanks, PrincessM.
    thanks, Nanami!!! [I love your works so much...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering when was Nanami Cowdroy born? Big assignment coming up on her, and I can't find it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete