Monday, 30 November 2009

Georgeanne Kalweit


1. Which book are you currently reading?
La Vita Facile, Sillibario (The Easy Life, the ABCs) by Italian Poet Alda Merini who left us just last week.

2. Do you smoke?
Sometimes.

3. When was the last time you got angry?
When a person I've known in the music business for many years asked me to be part of a collaboration and then turned out to be totally unreliable.

4. When was the last time you laughed until you cried?
When my sister told me about a conversation she had had with our mother. It went like this: our almost 80 year old mother, and quite a lovely lady at that, said she was looking for a new wrinkle cream and my sister said she knew of one called "acceptance" (meaning, just accept the damn wrinkles at this point) and our mother replied "oh really? I've never heard of it, where can I buy it?" Vanity is last to die!

5. Was there a movie that you could not bear to see until its end?
Apocalypto, far too violent and gory for my taste.

6. What character would you have liked to have played?
None comes to mind.

7. "Law & Order", "Special Victim Unit" or "Criminal Intent"?
None of the above, I watch very little TV and have never seen any of these shows.

8. Who do you currently have a crush on?
I've had a crush on boyfriend ever since I met him 5 years ago!

9. What's the best moment of your day?
When my dog and I greet each other first thing in the morning in this beautiful ritual of bowing to each other, then the walk in the open field together, come rain come shine, with a fresh mind, where I get to imagine what the day holds and then...coffee!

10. What song and what drawing of yours do you think are your best?
I am particularly fond of the title song "Around the Edges" of our soon to be released album of my new group Kalweit and the Spokes, with drummer Leziero Rescigno and guitarist Giovanni Calella. The lyrics trace the story of how I feel after almost 20 years of living in Italy, yet still feeling part of my native land, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
As for the drawing I like best: Granbar. This painting expresses the solitude of the lonely traveller in a bar that once existed in the Milan Central Station which has disappeared, like so many characteristic places in light of globalization...




Visual artist and vocalist Georgeanne Kalweit was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1964 and currently resides in northern Italy. Georgeanne first moved to Italy in 1986 to study Art History in Florence. In 1990 she graduated from the University of Minnesota in Painting, Print-making and Art History. From 1997-2000 she worked as art instructor at the Los Angeles County Museum, the Barnsdall Art Park and for the Los Angeles Unified Schools. Georgeanne paints figurative oil paintings as well as mixed media pieces created out of recycled images and objects, multi-layered compositions of a social-political nature which are full of extremely colorful details with a slight Central American Art Influence, a mix between Pop and Psychedelia, ironic and playful at the same time. She has exhibited in Florence, Milan, Mantova, Parma, Lodi, Stresa and Verbania, Italy, London, Los Angeles and Minneapolis.


Georgeanne Kalweit on Myspace
Kalweit and the Spokes on Myspace


Delta V - Un'Estate Fa (video directed by Lorenzo Vignolo)
Delta V - Prendila Così (video directed by Lorenzo Vignolo)
Delta V - Via da Qui (video directed by Lorenzo Vignolo)
Delta V - Numeri in Mia Vita (video)
Delta V - Un Colpo in un Istante (video)


1 comment:

  1. The painting, as is and as you described it, is wonderful and brings me back to a time and space very similar. Thanks Georgeanne, my friend. JK

    ReplyDelete