Thursday, 3 December 2009

Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond


1. Which book are you currently reading?
I’m reading Proust’s "Swann’s Way", Ursula Le Guin’s "The Other Wind" and with my third eyeball I am reading "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks.

2. Do you smoke?
Usually my cooking ends up smoked, but it’s not always on purpose.

3. When was the last time you got angry?
I was mad at someone today for leaving a relationship at a really wrong time and with no consideration for the children involved.

4. When was the last time you laughed until you cried?
I can’t remember. Oh dear... Yesterday I was so happy that I cried but I did not laugh.

5. Was there a movie that you could not bear to see until its end?
I usually love sci-fi fantasy films but earlier this week we were watching "The Snow Queen" and it was so horrible that we stopped watching it after about 15 minutes.

6. What character would you have liked to have played?
Giulietta in "I Capuleti e I Montecchi" by Bellini. The aria “O quante volte” is so heartbreaking to me.

7. "Law & Order", "Special Victim Unit" or "Criminal Intent"?
Are those television shows?

8. Who do you currently have a crush on?
I have serious musical crushes on Chris Thile, Beth Ditto and Colin Stetson.

9. What's the best moment of your day?
If I have woken up from having a particularly interesting dream, I love to lay in bed as I snuggle with my sleeping husband and think about the dream while the day is still quiet outside.

10. What song of yours do you think is your best?
“The Gentlest Gentleman”


Grandaughter of an Epiphone-playin-travelin-evangelist, fathered by a National Accordion Champion & mothered by a pianist, Shara Worden was born into a house of diverse musical aesthetics. Her first song was written at age 3 using the buttons of a toy cash register for "piano keys." By age 8 she was studying piano with her uncle, Donald Ryan, and singing in community musical productions.
Shara graduated from The University of North Texas with a BA in Vocal Performance. After university, she self-released a solo album entitled Word, then moving to Brooklyn, NY recorded two albums (The Orange Album, Quiet B Sides) with her band Awry. From 2001-2003 Shara studied composition with Australian composer/performer Padma Newsome (The Clogs, The National). During this time she composed music for a musical theater production Women With Voices Ringing (produced by Jaki Brown-Karmen), an off-broadway production of Adam Rapp's play Trueblinka directed by Simon Hammerstein, as well as Hammerstein's production of Jean Paul Sartre Morts sans Sepulture.
In late 2003 Shara assembled her dream cast of characters to create the sound of My Brightest Diamond. My Brightest Diamond has released two albums, Bring Me The Workhorse (2006) and A Thousand Shark's Teeth (2008).
Shara has collaborated with David Byrne, The Decemberists, Sufjan Stevens, Laurie Anderson, Bon Iver, St. Vincent, Bryce & Aaron Dessner.
In 2009 Shara moved to Detroit, Michigan to live in a creaky old house and tend bees.


Shara Worden - official website
My Brightest Diamond - official website
My Brightest Diamond on Myspace


No comments:

Post a Comment