Sunday, 31 January 2010

Barry Burns of Mogwai


1. Which book are you currently reading?
I'm reading 1982, Janine by Alasdair Gray

2. Do you smoke?
No, not if I can help it. There must be something else.

3. When was the last time you got angry?
I am very frequently angry, so probably today while drilling holes in the wall to put up picture frames and an Austrian cuckoo clock or while trying to work with Apple's Logic computer application. No wait....it was today when Hertz car rental have charged me €135 for returning the car I rented without a full tank.....even though the guy promised he'd just fill it up and not charge me that particular fee. Arseholes.

4. When was the last time you laughed until you cried?
I'm very tickly and my wife exploits this often. I think just before last weekend was the last time, but gentle domestic violence will soon put a stop to this unfair practice.

5. Was there a movie that you could not bear to see until its end?
Ohhhhhh yes. It was Terry Gilliam's grotesquely poor "Tideland" which I think might have stolen first place as the worst film I have ever seen. It was, for a very long time, Van Helsing: (insert forgotten shit subtitle here). I quite like Terry Gilliam usually but that was the biggest load of eye-vomit I've ever seen (a bit of).

6. What character would you have liked to have played?
The dead father who was played by Jeff Bridges.....at least he was lucky to have died fairly early in the film. I was going to write "caution: spoiler" there but if you watch any of that film it spoils your whole week anyway. There's 20 minutes i'll never get back.

7. "Law & Order", "Special Victim Unit" or "Criminal Intent"?
After quickly "Googling" all three of these things and then realising that the last two are sub-series of the first one. I am going to admit I have never seen Law and Order but Wikipedia has just informed me that it is just about the longest running TV series ever. I have no doubt it is probably the best thing ever, but I live in Germany and I don't get US TV.

8. Who do you currently have a crush on?
Absolutely no one. Just asked my wife and she says it should be her. It's Rachel Burns.

9. What's the best moment of your day?
That's really funny. When I just read that question I suddenly remembered I'd made a cup of coffee 10 minutes ago and jumped up to go to the kitchen. Just sat back down with it now and it's still drinkable. So I'd say coffee time.....or forgetting but then happily remembering about coffee while doing an email interview.

10. What song of yours do you think is your best?
Does anyone /not /say, "the very last one we wrote"?


Barry Burns plays guitar, keyboards and flute in Mogwai and also played with Arab Strap, Michael Middleton and De Rosa.

Mogwai - official website
Mogwai on Myspace


No comments:

Post a Comment