Saturday, 2 October 2010

Xavier Dubois of Ultraphallus / Y.E.R.M.O.


1. Which book are you currently reading?
I'm now finishing one hell of a book: Roberto Bolaño "The Savage Detectives". Next are Thomas Pynchon "Inherent Vice", Rodrigo Fresán "Mantra", Derek Bailey " Improvisation" and Kathy Acker "Blood and guts in high school". ONE book at a time, please.

2. Do you smoke?
No.

3. When was the last time you got angry?
A few days ago, when I realised that my Beefeater24 bottle was empty. When I was listening to death-metal in my living room and my girlfriend turned down the volume. When I'm in the classroom teaching then realising that most students are busy downloading shit on their computers and/or laughing at me. When I watch the news about the political situation here in Belgium. When I have to remove my shoes at the airport. When I have to mow the yard. But most of time I'm a peacefully nice boy. Words!

4. When was the last time you laughed until you cried?
I laugh quite often and cry from time to time. Usually the two are separated.

5. Was there a movie that you could not bear to see until its end?
I usually watch the entire thing. But I can give you a few names: "Requiem for a dream"...what a awful crap! "Slumdog Millionaire" really disgusted me. Never watched a movie so full of cliché, vulgar, superficial. I think it's one of the most overly simplistic movie I ever saw. "Into the wild" was quite irritating. Thanx God, the boy died at the end. Oh! and those Eddie Vedder songs through the all movie...Damn!

6. What character would you have liked to have played?
Fonzy. Happy days. He's real! The bad cop played by Harvey Keitel in "Bad Lieutenant".

7. "Law & Order", "Special Victim Unit" or "Criminal Intent"?
What the fuck?!?

8. Who do you currently have a crush on?
Man, that's a hard one. My girlfriend is probably reading. I can't tell you everything. "Nothing is as boring as the truth". Find who said that!

9. What's the best moment of your day?
Anything that involve sexual activity, good book, black coffee, discovering new sounds, riffs, "new way to pay old debts", a good movie with my girlfriend asleep on my shoulder, listening to Carcass while driving ...
And, of course, a delicious Gin Tonic. Forget Gordon Gin. Put the price and get Beefeater24.

10. What song of yours do you think is your best?
The next one. Not composed yet.
Well, ok: "Womanizer" on "The Clever" and "The Red Print" on forthcoming album "Sowberry Hagan"...a 9 minutes long track with Eugene Robinson. Soon on RIOT SEASON!


Born in Liège, Belgium, guitar player Xavier Dubois is a member of Ultraphallus and one half of electroacoustic project Y.E.R.M.O. He's also a solo performer, focusing on improvisation and country. Y.E.R.M.O. took part at the last contemporary arts exhibition in Venice last year, taking care of the "Collision Zone" sound installation. Ultraphallus is going to release its third album "Sowberry Hagan" very soon on UK label RIOT SEASON.

Xavier Dubois on Myspace
Ultraphallus on Myspace


No comments:

Post a Comment